An ‘ode to Grilled Cheese. A simple sandwich, of cheese and bread that leads to endless possibilities. Forget fancy dinner plans. On Friday, April 12, it’s all about your favorite childhood sandwich, taken up a notch. Here’s a few of my favorites:
- NY State Cheddar Grilled Cheese at Earl’s Beer & Cheese is simply incredible. Gooey cheddar cheese holds the perfectly cooked pork belly and kimchi cabbage in place. Just when you thought it couldn’t get any crazier, an over easy egg is inside the sandwich with the runny yolk dripping down you fingers creating the perfect sauce.
- Foie Gras and Smoked Cheddar Grilled Cheese at Chez Sardine is gluttony on gluttony. It’s so good that any caloric guilt will go quickly out the window with one simple, decadent bite.
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Asiago and Brown Butter at Little Munster is perfect for the vegetarian in the group. For the meat lovers, of course the are endless options for you. But this grilled cheese only shop knows what they are doing.
- Grilled Cheese at Bouchon Bakery takes the simple sandwich up a notch with out the glitz and glam. Gruyère and fontina cheeses melt between two slices of thick bread, toasted to a beautiful golden brown it’s almost (but not quite) too perfect to eat. Pair the sandwich with the tomato soup and you’re in cheesy heaven.
- French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese at Say Cheese will make you think you’re eating a decadent and complex sandwiched version of the beloved soup. Their other sandwiches are equally awesome and unique.
- Classic Melt at Murray’s Cheese Bar combines Gruyere, Tickler, and Buffalo Mozzarella cheeses on thick-cut white bread. The buttery and toasted outside creates a shellacked crust, giving that unbelievable crunch with each bite.
- Grilled Cheese with Onion Relish at the Ace Hotel Bar (The Breslin) creates a damn good grilled cheese with a whole grain mustard and sweet onion relish on the side allowing for you to make the sandwich entirely your own. Easily the best bar food I’ve ever had.
… and the dish I can’t wait to try this weekend:
- Lobster Grilled Cheese with a Salted Caramel Drizzle. For one week only, Hudson Common will be celebrating with this absurd sandwich gracing their menu. It’s made of Yancy Farms White Cheddar Curds, Brooklyn Salvatore Smoked Ricotta, 2 Sisters Gouda, Tickler Cheddar, Fromage Blanc, Prairie Breeze Cheddar, and Butter Milk with Red Chili-Chipotle Lobster Salad with a caramel drizzle atop the sandwich to finish it off. (according to Gothamist)
where will you be going??