There’s nothing Ina Garten can’t do. I dream of the day that my invite arrives to join her Brunch Bunch to try all of her absolutely fabulous creations in her gorgeous Hampton’s estate. In the meantime, I decided to recreate one of her many incredible recipes, transforming ordinary breakfast into something a little bit more gourmet.
Granola is a favorite breakfast staple, but many of the boxed versions can contain an absurd amount of sugar and sodium. Making your own at home removes a lot of the unnecessary processed elements. The Barefoot Contessa’s recipe calls for raw nuts, oats, honey and sweetened shredded coconut.
To begin the process, pre-heat the oven to 325° placing one cup of whole hazelnuts and one cup of cashews into a ceramic baking pan. Roast the nuts for 25 minutes, turning them every 7-9 minutes.
Take out of the oven and allow the nuts to cool completely. When cooled, roughly chop the hazelnuts and cashews.
Change the temperature on the oven to 350°.
Place into a medium sized bowl. Add one cup of old fashioned oats, a half cup of sliced almonds, half cup of shredded sweet coconut, two tablespoons of honey and three tablespoons of vegetable oil.
Place the mixture onto a sheet tray, lined with tin foil.
Allow the granola to cook for 20 minutes, rotating the mixture three times with a spatula (every 7-8 minutes).
Take out and allow to cool slightly before sliding the granola into a sealed container.
I like the serve the delicious toasted, slightly sweet granola with Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese and Blueberries. The perfect morning treat!
Be sure to try this at home, it makes a large portion size and stays good for a few weeks. Now you are an honorary member of Ina’s fabulous Brunch Bunch!
Roasted Hazelnut Granola
Adapted from The Barefoot Contessa
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 325°
- Roast cashews and hazelnuts in a ceramic pan for 25 minutes, rotating every 7-9 minutes
- Allow for cashews and hazelnuts to cool, before roughly chopping the nuts
- Raise the heat of the oven to 350°
- Toss the hazelnuts, cashews, oatmeal, almonds, coconut, oil, and honey together in a large bowl until they are completely combined
- Pour onto a lined sheet pan and bake, stirring occasionally with a metal spatula, until the mixture turns an even golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the granola from the oven, scrape the pan with the spatula to loosen the granola, and allow to cool, stirring once.