Avocado Toast for breakfast is all the rage right now. Every trendy restaurant serves some variation of this beloved dish. Recreating the flavors at home proves to be extremely simple, with only four ingredients to make your morning significantly better.
To turn the avocado toast up yet another notch, I love adding a poached egg on top, to add another level of flavor. The runny yolk creates a sauce on top of the avocado, making it a creamier breakfast with added protein.
Making the avocado mixture for the toast is simple. The hardest part is finding a perfectly ripe avocado (and we all know the struggles).
When you’ve found the perfect avocado, score the inside and put the contents of the entire avocado into the bowl. Add the zest of 1 lemon, followed by the juice from the lemon. Season generously with kosher salt and pepper.
For the “toast” part of the avocado toast, you can use any vehicle. I prefer an English Muffin, toasted in the oven until golden brown. You can also use seven grain bread, or sour dough, really any type of sturdy bread (please, try and avoid generic, sliced white bread, like Wonder Bread).
Generously slather the avocado spread on top of the warm toast. Sprinkle with Red Pepper Flakes.
To turn the toast up a notch, consider adding a poached egg on top. This might seem like a really daunting task, but with the help of the wonderful guy at Food Lab, you will become an expert in no time.
While still warm, place the poached egg on top of the avocado and red pepper flakes. Sprinkle with kosher salt, and serve.
Your homemade breakfast has never been this good.
Avocado Toast with Poached Egg
- 1 ripe Avocado
- 1 Lemon (juice and zest)
- English Muffin (or any kind of sturdy bread)
- 1 Egg (per half of toast)
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Cut the Avocado in half, scoring the inside of the Avocado and put the contents of the entire avocado into the bowl
- With the back of your fork, mash the avocado until nearly smooth
- Add the zest of 1 lemon, followed by the juice from the lemon
- Season generously with kosher salt and pepper
- Toast the bread of your choice until golden brown
- Generously slather the avocado spread on top of the warm toast
- Sprinkle with Red Pepper Flakes
- Poach an egg (using the instructions from Food Lab)
- Place the poached egg on top of the avocado toast
- Serve warm